Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Drugs and Sports

On March 29, we discussed drugs and sports.  We learned that drug use in sport is getting to be really bad.  Way too many athletes are taking illegal substances for these reasons:
-recover from injury quicker
-mask pain
-desire to be the best
-winning=financial rewards
-make most of a short sporting life
-influenced by others to improve performance immorally
-will to win overrides moral conscience
-try to meet expectations
-willing to risk cheating for public acclaim
-natural ability not good enough
-better results means they will get better sponsorships and endorsements

I personally have no respect for any athlete that takes performance enhancing drugs.  It is cheating.  I think it is probably the worst thing that can be done in sports.  How can any of their stats or records be verified? Chances are those players would not have the same stats they did if they did not take performance enhancing drugs.  Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, and Barry Bonds were all players that I, as a baseball player, looked up to when I was younger.  When I found out about them taking steroids, and corking bats, etc, I was so upset.  I had a Sosa jersey and I burned it.  Finding out that my role models were cheaters was probably one of the things that upset me the most in sports in my life.

http://sportsanddrugs.procon.org/

I was looking at this website and it has many of the things we discussed in class such as reasons why athletes do it, and the pros and cons of taking performance enhancing drugs.  I think this website would be really helpful for people looking for more information on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment